Frequently Asked Questions

What are the basic requirements for the these positions?

1. Be a native-level speaker of English.

2. Have acquired an education delivered in English for at least 12 years (all classes, subject to documentation of instruction in the medium of English)

3. Have graduated or be about to graduate from a university with at least a bachelor’s degree (in any subject).

4. Be professional in all aspects of behavior, a team-player, flexible, cheerful, and energetic.

What are some qualities and abilities that are beneficial? (as an ALT with Interac)

1. Hold a valid driver’s license.

2. Have teaching experience.

3. Have a teaching qualification, e.g., CELTA, DELTA, TEFL, etc.

4. Have the experience of studying a second language at school or university.

5. Can speak some basic Japanese.

What are some qualities and abilities that are beneficial? (with Yaruki Switch Group)

1. Be a caring person who loves children and can be a type of “second parent.”

2. Understand a child’s development and have the ability to see from the child’s perspective.

3. Can work professionally with the school staff and maintain parent satisfaction with the school.

Do I need to be a licensed teacher?

No. While having teaching experience and certification will certainly help you in the classroom, being a licensed teacher in your country is not a requirement.  Both Interac and Yaruki Switch Group have detailed and extensive training programs for all new teachers, designed to take them from whatever level of experience to full proficiency in the classroom.

Do I need to speak Japanese?

No. It is not 100% necessary.  If you can learn some Japanese such as simple greetings prior to arrival it will certainly help you, but most teachers who do not have Japanese skills quickly acquire them while living in Japan.

What about tattoos and other body modifications?

Tattoos in Japan are associated with persons involved in organized crime, and are definitely not in line with the image and expectations of a teacher. Any visible tattoo must be covered. In addition, living in the communities where you work will require that your tattoos are covered at all times. Regarding piercings, women may have a single simple earring in each ear, and extreme piercings and so on must not be shown.

Degree Requirements

Having a Bachelor's degree or greater is a requirement for applying to Japan Immigration for an Instructor visa. The subject of the Bachelor's degree is not important, the fact that it is a Bachelor's degree is.  "Diplomas" and "Certificates" are not equivalents.  For other positions, such as those in preschools etc. that are under a Specialist in Humanities visa, an Associate Degree may be acceptable, but a Bachelor's degree is preferred.  Please understand that this is the government's immigration policy, and while we are sure that you are a great person with lots of experience, if you do not have the Bachelor's, you're not getting the visa.  If you are currently a university student and are within six months of graduation, you are welcome to apply.

What about housing?

Employers we work with provide assistance in the sourcing and set-up of single-occupancy housing for teachers.  Average suburban rents are around 60,000 Japanese Yen/mo. (USD $550)  Utilities such as gas, water, electric, internet, etc. are billed separated and should be in the 10,000 Japanese Yen/mo. (USD $90) range.

What about Transportation?

Teachers typically arrange their own flights to Japan.  Transportation for work is typically covered by the employer. 

Dependents and Spouses

We often get inquires from parents thinking about relocating to Japan with small children.  We honestly cannot recommend it, for the child's sake.  Being a working parent in Japan is very tough even for the Japanese, and facing the hurdles of cultural adaptation and acclimation is tough enough for an adult.  Regarding married couples, if each partner is an exceptional applicant, it may be possible to arrange an introduction.

Do you have other positions?

In the future it certainly is possible, but at present we are looking for teachers in the English language education field.  If we have another position, we will certainly post it on this page and on our Facebook Page.

Do you have short-term contracts?

Not at present. All of our open positions are for a whole year or entire school year (April to March.) 

What is the definition of "Native-Level Speaker?"

LJC recruits qualified individuals fr English-language teaching positions at the Native Level of proficiency as required by Japanese Immigration authorities for statuses of residence allowing work in the Education field. 

A Native Level of proficiency is assumed for citizens of nations where English is the only primary and main language used in school education, government, and society.

For citizens of other nations, Native Level of proficiency can be certified by providing documentation to the effect that you have twelve (12) years of education from the primary level where the medium of instruction for all subjects was English. In nations where English is not the main language, this requirement typically requires documentation of attendance at an international school or other similar institution. Please note that we do not accept standardized test scores of any kind in the place of the 12-year requirement, as it will not be accepted by Japanese Immigration authorities.

Is there an age limit for these positions?

At LJC, we cannot work with persons under the age of twenty (minors) or over the age of retirement as determined by Japanese law. Typically, retirement age is determined by each of our client placements according to their internal rules, often age 60-65. 

I am in the Philippines, can I apply?

For Philippine nationals, our ability to recruit is limited by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) regulations for Filipino Overseas Workers (FOW). If you applying for a job with Interac, please contact Interac's POEA agent here.